Finished the unfinished base...

6/20/2007

Today I finished up with the bottom of the stand. I still have to stain and seal the whole thing, but I'll wait until I build the canopy to do that.

First I cut the boards for the sides and front with doors. The cuts are a little rough, this is my first time attempting any woodwork like this... Thank goodness for trim around the edges!
I attached the sides and installed the trim, I originally attempted to use fancy looking molding, but after much frustration, I decided to keep it simple with 1x4s for the trim. I found that I got the cleanest straightest cuts doing everything with a hand-saw, I'm pleased with the way it turned out...
I kept the front doors very simple, no hinges, just a single latch at the top. That way I can set the door to the side and it doesn't get in my way when I'm trying to work! One side is also a false door to allow for easy removal of the sump and display tank. It's connected with hinges and a magnet to keep it shut.
I'll finish out the rest of the trim after I build the canopy, I'll run a piece up the back side of the tank so you can't see the back edge and probably another piece up the back of the stand.. I've got a pretty dark stain to put on after everything is done. My lights just shipped today so I've got a few days before I build the canopy, I'll probably start working on the plumbing next.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looking good there! Waiting to see plumbing pics!