Murder on the high seas

7/5/2007

I'm working these days so I don't have time to do my long winded daily blogs any more, maybe I'll get a chance this weekend to bore everyone to tears...

I got my rock in from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Richard was great to deal with, I'm tight on money at this point (kind of like when you get near the end of building a house and can't actually afford to live in it). But due to some birthday greetings, I got a "package" to start me out. I only got the 20 gallon package, so I've got some space to fill, but I'm planning on landscaping half the tank at this point and leaving the other half for some open swimming area. I'll be able to add some rock here and there as I go.

Richard shipped the rock out from Tampa on Tuesday morning and I had it in my living room Tuesday evening. The tarp turned out to be a really good idea....

I unloaded the live sand first (I went ahead and got 55 pounds instead of 20 so I could fill up from the start). Right from the start, everything in the boxes smelled great, no rotten dying smell. I put the sand in and moved on to the rocks..
This rock will get me started and once everything is cycled, I'll get more rock in the second half of the shipment along with all the little critters... I've spread everything out for now, I know it doesn't look like much, but I was really pleased with the amount of life on the rock and some of the pieces have some pretty nice structure to them. I believe that the second half will be more "deco" rock that will have a bit more shape to it and its supposed to have some hard corals on it.

And on to the Murder! Jenny was thrilled to be the first one to spot the brittle star that hitchhiked it's way in with the rock. But today I came home to find it just laying there
systematically dismembered and disemboweled. Now I have to solve the mystery and figure out who the murderer is...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

where are the updates to the rest of the finished tank project?